How leaks, demands and a phone call derailed Estée…
US cosmetics maker Estée Lauder and Spanish fragrance group Puig had been finalizing the main points of a deal when talks fell aside late on Thursday, stopping a merger that would have created a $40 billion luxurious magnificence giant.
The merged company would have put together manufacturers such as Tom Ford, Clinique and MAC with Carolina Herrera and Charlotte Tilbury, in style with TikTok influencers and prosperous millennials.
But leaks, disagreements between the highly effective controlling households, and demands, including from make-up magnate Charlotte Tilbury, led the talks to collapse, 5 people with direct data of the deal told GWN.
The latest stumbling block had been demands linked to Charlotte Tilbury, the founder of the eponymous magnificence model majority-owned by Puig. Getty Images
On Thursday night in Barcelona, and morning in New York, Puig grandee Marc Puig acquired on the phone with Estée Lauder chairman William Lauder to assess the deteriorating scenario, one of the sources said.
Shortly afterwards, advisers on both sides started exchanging messages, according to a second source with data of the discussions. One of the messages included a cranium emoji that means the deal was lifeless.
Spokespeople at Puig and Estée Lauder declined to remark.
Charlotte Tilbury’s minority stake
The latest stumbling block had been demands linked to Charlotte Tilbury, the founder of the eponymous magnificence model majority-owned by Puig, relating to the phrases of her minority stake, all 5 sources said.
There have been disagreements between the highly effective controlling households. Estee lauder ChairmAN William Lauder with Elizabeth Hurley. Stephen Lovekin/Shutterstock
Charlotte Tilbury’s firm declined to remark.
The 5 sources, close to both sides of the talks, spoke on condition of anonymity because the method was confidential.
Three of the people said the 2 teams had repeatedly been about to announce a merger.
Estée Lauder had assembled a group of advisers who labored through last weekend on a valuation of Puig, requested by Spain’s stock market regulator as half of the proposed transaction, according to one of the sources.
Estée Lauder buyers’ dislike of the deal was another issue that hindered the talks, sources said. REUTERS
Months of negotiations across continents
Discussions between the 2 sides started late last yr, one of the sources said.
When they grew to become public data in March, buyers considered the prospect of a deal as better for Puig than Estée Lauder. Puig’s shares spiked and the US company’s shares fell.
The reverse occurred after the talks collapsed as Estée Lauder rose around 10% on Friday, while Puig fell 13%.
Estée Lauder buyers’ dislike of the deal was another issue that hindered the talks, according to three sources.
Marc Puig and Anna Wintour in 2014. Getty Images
The company’s return to stronger earnings growth in its most current quarter meanwhile elevated its confidence in remaining unbiased, the three sources added.
The months of negotiations included conferences in Paris, New York and Barcelona, and achieved obvious settlement in precept on points such as the governance of the new entity.
Other factors mentioned included a potential twin itemizing in New York and Madrid, retaining Barcelona as the headquarters for the mixed fragrances business, and particulars on how to attain the synergies of the mixed company, two of the people said.
Tilbury and King Charles in New York last month. via REUTERS
Both founding households, Lauder and Puig, wished to keep a say in the new group, according to two sources with data.
The corporations also struggled to resolve how to construction property such as Charlotte Tilbury and solar care model Isdin – two of Puig’s main profit-drivers, in which the group doesn’t maintain full possession, two of the sources said.
Stay in the loop with the latest trending topics! Visit our web site daily for the freshest lifestyle news and content, thoughtfully curated to inspire and inform you.



